no_click

Friday, September 30, 2011

9/28/11 Auroras

After a very unsatisfying Monday with really high hopes (and turning out we missed a big show by a mere 15-30 mins), I ventured back out on Tuesday hoping to see an aurora. I watched the aurora observation charts and maps very closely, and was pleasantly surprised. I ventured out in the Black Hills, aka, the backyard and looked and looked for a view. After avoiding about 20 deer, I found a decent lookout and sure enough, aurora!

Here are a few pictures of the auroras:


In the image below, you can see a vivid pillar to the right side.



The pillar moved more westward and is pretty cool looking.


I put all the images together with a photoshop action and you can see the entire event put together in one image.



And then one final image taken from the road. This is about three miles from the city and you can still see the green from the aurora. The red is my tail lights as I had my foot on the brake. Pretty neat you can see them so close to the city.



And as mandatory with any aurora, here is the video:



Hopefully there is another CME from the sun soon. I really enjoy shooting auroras under the clear sky. It is so peaceful and tranquil under all the stars of the universe. A few more blog updates are to come soon as well. Tomorrow I will be out shooting a prescribed fire in the Black Hills and then this weekend I will probably get some shots of the waxing moon. Stay tuned!

Chip!

No comments:

Post a Comment